Audio-Technica ATH ANC23 QuietPoint - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) - active noise canceling
Product Description
ATH-ANC23 QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling In-Ear Headphones reduce distracting background noise by up to 90% while offering the superior sound. Engineered to create a comfortable listening environment in areas with high ambient noise, these in-ear headphones feature a miniature microphone in each earpiece that picks up ambient noise (such as traffic, air-handling systems, etc.). Electronics in the control box create a noise-cancelling wave that is 180deg. out of phase with the ambient noise. This wave acts like a noise eraser: it cancels out the annoying sounds that surround you without diminishing the audio you want to hear. The result, a peaceful enclave to enjoy the music or movies of your choice.

Product Details
- Product Dimensions: 0.8 x 0.4 x 0.2 inches ; 1 ounces
- Shipping Weight: 5 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- ASIN: B004K09H32
- Item model number: ATH-ANC23 BK

Technical Details
- Ultra-compact in-ear design is ideal for travel
- Advanced electronics cancel up to 90% of background noise
- Innovative ANC circuitry delivers an exceptionally pure audio signal in noise-cancelling mode
- Ideal for use with all audio sources, including MP3 ; other portable players
- Soft interchangeable ear pieces (small, medium ; large) provide a custom fit
Costumer Reviews
When I first tried these, I thought they didn't work. Switching them on seemed to make no difference. However, the good reviews I'd read encouraged me to persevere. So I put on the slightly larger ear pieces and made sure they were properly crammed into my head, and they worked really well.
Listening to a music video on the TV, it didn't seem to block much treble/voices, but it really cut out the bass. It also made me realize that there's a constant low hum in my apartment I'd never been aware of before. I'd really bought them for an 11 hour plane flight, and having them was fantastic. I managed to sleep for six hours - in economy! At 6 foot 2 with long legs, that's pretty impressive. Coincidence? Who knows. A good buy (just make sure they fitted VERY snugly), and I'm sure you can buy better, but you'd better be willing to shell out an additional $200.
Recently I faced the prospect of a long trans-oceanic flight and wanted some compact (preferably earbud-style) headphones with reasonable sound quality and, if possible, some decent noise-cancellation capability. Like all well-prepared travelers, I waited until I'd passed the security checkpoint, and rushed into an airport shop with no more than five minutes to make my choice. I quickly told the salesman what I was looking for, and he steered me towards this model from Audio-Technica. I'd heard the brand name, but had never bought one of their products. I asked him to compare the performance of these to those of Sony and another brand in the shop. (Both were earbuds, with noise-cancellation, at about the same price.) He insisted these performed better with regards both to sound quality and to noise cancellation.
Several thousand miles of ambient aircraft noise later, I can say I'm pleased with the choice. I've tried the noise-canceling phones from Bose (phenomenal, but pricey). These don't perform as well, particularly with regards to noise reduction, but they do a decent job. I couldn't hear a seat-mate speaking directly to me while I was watching "Sherlock Holmes" on the in-flight movie. Sound quality is good, though not great, as well. All said, these 'phones probably give about two-thirds the performance of the Bose model at less than a third the price. Not a bad deal at all. A seat-mate during one leg tried these, and was impressed with the noise cancellation. He later borrowed these headphones for his own use when I wasn't using them.
Conclusion? Wait until you're about to board the aircraft before buying headphones for your trip, and then ask the skinny guy with the wispy mustache for a recommendation. It just might work.
Post a Comment