Philips O'Neill SHO8801/28 On-Ear Headphones (Black Ice)
Product Description
Color: Black Ice
From the Manufacturer
From the terrain park to the subway platform, Philips O'Neill The Snug on-ear headphones deliver the perfect combination of DJ-quality sound, flawless fit, and sporty urban style. With cool black graphics, The Snug features a tough, tangle-free cable, reinforced aluminum connectors, premium audio quality, and soft, noise-isolating ear cushions to prove there's tons of substance behind all that style. Perfect for anyone who refuses to stay in one place, The Snug has a durable, flat-folding design--just throw it in your bag and rest assured that nothing will crush these super-tough headphones.
Philips O'Neill SHO8801/28 The Snug On-Ear Headphones (Black Ice)
- Dynamic 40-millimeter drivers deliver premium sound quality
- Tough tangle-free fabric cable and reinforced aluminum connectors for strength
- Adjustable headband and soft, noise-isolating ear cushions
- Cable stress relief to prevent breakage
- Folds flat for easy storing and carrying
- One-year limited warranty
Powerful Sound in a Stylish Package
Inspired by street art and digital media, The Snug integrates premium performance with cool, eye-catching, outspoken design that goes big on graphics. Powerful 40-millimeter drivers deliver crisp highs, solid mids, and deep, chest-thumping bass without distortion. And improved sound leakage reduction means that you're the only one who can hear and feel your music--not your neighbors.
Tangle-Free, Stress-Relief Cable and Reinforced Connectors
These headphones are built to last. Unlike headphones with plastic cables, The Snug is constructed with a flexible, tangle-free fabric cable that won't bunch up and disrupt your listening experience. Cable stress relief means that if the cable gets caught, it will disconnect without pulling on your headphones or listening device--a great feature for active users. For even greater protection, strong aluminum connectors reinforce the audio jack to prevent breakage.
Rugged, Flat-Folding Design for Years of Use
If you're a mover and a shaker, you'll love The Snug's durable, flat-folding design. Just fold up the headphones, throw them in your bag, and hit the road safe in the knowledge that nothing will crush them.
Soft Ear Pads and Adjustable Headband for Long-Lasting Comfort
Specifically designed to provide an optimum fit, The Snug provides an adjustable headband for hours of listening comfort, reducing headaches and pain that can occur when wearing your headphones too tight. Soft ear pads provide cushioning for extended wear and block out external noise, so you can focus on the music.
About Philips O'Neill Headphones
O'Neill and Philips have joined forces to launch a co-branded, premium line of headphones delivering long-lasting durability and comfort. Sharing a tradition of enhancing the lives of active people through the introduction of innovative and meaningful products, O'Neill and Philips have come together to create a line of high-performance headphones specifically designed to withstand the brutal demands that accompany every active lifestyle.
What's in the Box
Philips O'Neill SHO8801/28 The Snug On-Ear Headphones (Black Ice).
Colors
- Black Bordeaux
- Powder White
Comfort
- Noise-isolating, super-soft ear cushions
- Auto-fit cushioned headband
- Stretchy neoprene padding
Durability
- Flexible, stress-crack-resistant, temperature-resistant material
- Flexible super-stretch headband
- Cable stress relief
- Tangle-free fabric cable and reinforced connectors
Sound
40-millimeter drivers
Colors
- White Black Check
- Black Ice
- Purple Plaid
- Rebel Red
Comfort
- Noise-isolating, super-soft ear cushions
- Adjustable, padded headband
- Folds flat for easy storage and portability
Durability
- Cable stress relief
- Tangle-free fabric cable and reiforced connectors
Sound
40-millimeter drivers
Colors
- Bold Black
- Ultra Fuchsia
- Royal Blue
- White Out
- Royal Purple
- Orange
Comfort
Three sizes of ear sleeves
Durability
Tangle-free fabric cable and reinforced connectors
Sound
- 9-millimeter drivers
- Noise-isolating soft ear sleeves
Colors
Code Green
Comfort
Noise-isolating soft ear caps
Durability
Tangle-free fabric cable and reinforced connectors
Sound
- 13-millimeter drivers
- Mic, volume, and track control for iPhone/iPod/iPad
Philips O'Neill The Snug - Flawless Fit and Sound - On-Ear Headphones SHO8801/28 (Black)
Product Details
- Product Dimensions: 7.4 x 2.7 x 6.1 inches ; 5.3 ounces
- Shipping Weight: 1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.
- ASIN: B003VNKKTO
- Item model number: SHO8801/28
Price : $39.37
You Save : $20.62 (34%)

List Price :
Technical Details
- Philips O'Neill The Snug - Flawless Fit and Sound - On-Ear Headphones SHO8801/28 (Black)
- Tough tangle-free cable separates from the headphones when sudden force is applied to prevent breakage
- Noise isolating super soft adjustable fit ear padding for extra comfort
- Dynamic 40 mm drivers that deliver a deep/dynamic bass
- Folds flat for easy storing and carrying
Customer Reviews
The Good:
I used to get little in-ear buds to listen to my music at home and on the go, but I went through about three pairs in a year. It was starting to become really costly, and they all died of the same issue: the cord, usually near the earpiece, would strain and eventually the wires would disconnect and one ear would be useless or would fade in and out. I've had these earphones for about a month now, and I was so happy to discover the wire is reinforced with what feels like ripcord. The over-ear pieces will rotate so that the headphones can be stored flat, which is a surprisingly useful feature. These headphones are amazingly loud at even the lowest volumes on my computer, which makes editing audio and video a breeze. I almost never need to raise my mac's volume level above about 10% to hear every detail of a song crisp and clear. The bass also surpassed my expectations.
The Not so Good:
As with any over-ear phones, your outer ear will feel squished after a few hours of listening, but taking a 10 second break to rub them to restore circulation usually does the trick. I find the discomfort to only be slightly over that of in-ear headphones being worn for the same amount of time.
There is one thing I must stress about these headphones: THEY ARE VERY SMALL. I'm on the smaller side and they fit snug on my head. They do have quite a bit of stretch and give, but I really don't think these would be comfortable for people with even slightly larger than average heads.
These are noise-reducing headphones. They will not cancel out every single sound around you, but they do significantly reduce even some very loud noises. I've never come across a pair of headphones that completely eliminate all noise and these are very high up with some of the triple digit price-range headphones I have demoed. I honestly think the price makes it worth it, but if you really want complete noise cancellation I would move on (not sure if you'll ever find it, though).
And finally, the plastic they are made out of is just enough to put up with minor abuse. They feel quite fragile to me, which makes me inclined to leave them at home for most situations. I would highly suggest getting a hard case for them if you want to bring them out frequently, because I honestly feel that the plastic will not handle extreme impact (being dropped they can definitely deal with, but they would never survive being stepped on). If they were kept in a napsack or something it would probably do fine, but the demo videos of people snowboarding with these seem a little ridiculous. I'll admit most headphones I have seen can't put up with being stepped on but these worry me sometimes with the amount of tension you can feel when you separate the two ear covers.
I ordered these Philips O'Neill on-the-ear headphones through the Vine program and have been putting them through the paces.
First off let's address the negatives:
~ This is purely an issue of aesthetics, but the retro "White-Black Check" design is a bit ostentatious, but there are three other styles to choose from. Given a choice, I would have gone for the more conservative "Black Ice" but since I do most of my headphone listening in-doors, this is not a big problem.
~ A possible con: The materials, for the most part, are very light-weight plastic. I'm sure that contributes to their light and comfortable fit: I just don't know how well they'll hold up under normal use. So the ruling on their "construction" is open at this time.
So, on to what matters: comfort and sound.
~ In terms of comfort these may well be the most comfortable "on-the-ear" headphones I've ever worn. The pads are a bit small for me, but then again I've got big ears. But as they are very light and the padding is soft, they don't feel tight on your head/ears, and stay nicely in place. They are adjustable: my wife and I needed a different size to get them comfortable and found adjusting them very easy. The fabric tangle-free cable is also a nice change from the standard plastic cables that is the norm with most headphones/ear buds and contributes to the ease of use of these headphones. I've listened for hours and never felt bothered by the fit or feel.
~ In terms of sound, I am extremely impressed. I have been trying out all sorts of music on these headphones and whether listening to jazz (Michael Franks, Steely Dan), classical (Bach, Mozart, Copland), or made-for-headphones pop/rock (Alan Parsons Project, Electric Light Orchestra, Pink Floyd), these headphones bring out every nuance and detail in the music. The 40-millimeter drivers deliver a very impressive dynamic range with clear highs which are not at all overly-bright or "tinny", a nice mid-range, and rich, clear bass which is hard to come by on headphones. I even tried them out on some 50s-era Sinatra and the brilliant arrangements of Gordon Jenkins, Nelson Riddle and Billy May sound more finely detailed than ever.
These headphones are not inexpensive but they're not up there in price with Beats Solo (Dr. Dre), Bose, or Sennheiser either, yet to my ears they sound as good as some of those more expensive models. They are a moderately priced, high performance option that I highly recommend. Get a pair for yourself. They would make a great birthday or Christmas gift for the audiophile on your list too. (Don't forget: go with the "Black Ice".)
Sound: 5/5
Comfort: 4/5
Construction: 3?/5
Value: 4/5
Post a Comment