AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ANC27 Noise-Canceling Headphones

AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ANC27 Noise-Canceling Headphones

Product Description

Audio Technica QuietPoint ATH-ANC27 Headphone - Stereo ATH-ANC27 342

AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ANC27 Noise-Canceling Headphones

Product Details

  • Product Dimensions: 4.5 x 0.5 x 8.5 inches ; 1.6 ounces
  • Shipping Weight: 2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
  • Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.
  • ASIN: B00372YKMM
  • Item model number: ATH-ANC27
  • Batteries: 1 AAA batteries required.
Price : $54.95
You Save : $65.00 (54%)
AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ANC27 Noise-Canceling Headphones

Technical Details

  • 3.9-ft cable
  • 3.5mm stereo jack
  • Color: Black
  • QuietPoint active noise reduction up to 18 dB
  • 40mm driver diameter
  • 106 dB sensitivity; Max. input power 500 mW
  • 20-20,000 Hz frequency response
  • 33 ohms impedance

Costumer Reviews

Initial impressions (may add more later on) - currently my rating is ~3.5, leaning towards 3 instead of 4:

This model seems to targeting the lower-end models of other brands, Sony's and JVC's mainly. I have to admit, compared to them, it performs better. (the same can also be said for ATH-ANC1, as it is targeting the market for the highly popular Sennheiser models and in my opinion, Audio Technica did pretty well in that aspect)

Noise-canceling is there, but so is the hissing. Unlike the more expensive ATH-ANC7 model, this model introduces a fair amount of hissing. But, since the hissing stays at a constant level and does not vary in time unlike other noise-canceling headphones (like all the Able-planet models that I tried), it does not have the potential of causing headaches, so for me this is acceptable. The performance of the noise-canceling is also acceptable. I think, if you exclude the hissing, the performance is similar to the ATH-ANC7 model (cannot say it is a golden standard but pretty close).

Regarding the design, well, not unexpectedly it is also on the lower-end of the scale. I think the outer layer of the cups is designed fairly well. The problem is mostly related to the padding. Also, they kept the size of the padding section of the earcups pretty small, so unless you have small ears, you may have hard time fitting inside. Also the material used for the padding is a bit on the tougher side. It is not soft and that means longer listening periods may become quite uncomfortable. I am guessing the same material is also used for the headband, which gives an enhanced discomfort effect! (frankly, right now, it feels like a tough object sitting on top of my head, instead of making itself fit nicely to the environment)

On the good side, the construction seems to be good, so unlike the currently-expired Logitech noise canceling headphones, I don't think it is going to break any time soon. Also, for the battery placement, I am glad they followed the second generation ATH-ANC7 model, and make it easier to replace the battery.

The accessories that come with the item are the same as the other models (a hard-shell case, airplane adapter, etc.). But, since this is a given for almost all the newer models, it is not a differentiating feature anymore. The only interesting thing I noticed is that the cable has a locking feature. You can lock the cable end that is inserted into the headphone. I don't know whether this is a needed feature or not, but maybe it was for some people.

I was planning to write about the audio quality after I use it for the next few days. But, after a few hours of use, it became really tiring for my ears. It feels as if the headphone is not only canceling the lower-frequency noise outside, but the lower frequency audio on the inside too. Interestingly the audio sounds better, when the noise-canceling feature is not turned on (at least it sounds more comfortable). When the noise canceling feature is on, the high-frequency content is enhanced more than needed (possibly, a side-effect of the hissing). You can change the settings of the audio player to reduce that effect, but it would have been better if that was not needed in the first place.

At the current price range, I can say it is a fairly acceptable model. If they hadn't missed the mark regarding the comfort and the sound, I would have given this model a 4.5...

(And if I were Audio Technica, I would reduce the price of this headphone and change its title to Quiet-Discomfort...Who knows, it may actually help them sell this product...)

While I appreciate user reviews, I forego them when Consumer Reports tests a product. I also consider others (like CNET, PC Magazine, etc.) over Amazon.com users.

For this product, I clipped and pasted CR's report. The Bose QuietComfort 15 and Sony MDR-NC500D were one notch better in noise cancellation, and at $300 and $400 respectively, you should just buy one of them if you can afford it. Otherwise, if you're looking at others, your price point is lower and you prefer a better bargain.

CR's Take

This model from Audio-Technica delivers very good sound quality and very good active noise reduction, but the combination on/over-the-ear fit may be cramped for those with bigger ears. These headphones have a closed design, so they will muffle some external sounds apart from the active noise cancellation, and limit the amount of sound that escapes from the headphones. They are best suited for those who want to reduce the amount of noise they hear from their surroundings, or who don't want the sound from the headphones to disturb others, and who are comfortable with the size of a home/studio style model.

Detailed test results

This home/studio-style, over-ear noise canceling model will work with or without the noise-canceling feature being activated, and you can use the noise-canceling feature without listening to music. The audio cable is detachable if you want to use the headphones for noise reduction only. This model has a closed design and electronic noise canceling that reduces both outside noise and sound leaking out into your environment. The headphones have high sensitivity when the noise-canceling feature is turned on, and medium high sensitivity when it's turned off. Either way, it can provide satisfying volume levels when used with home audio equipment and even lower-powered portable audio devices. The ATH-ANC27 comes with a detachable audio cord, a mini-plug-to-1/4-inch plug adapter, a mini-plug-to-airplane-jack adapter, and a carrying case.

Sound quality: We found that the ATH-ANC27 delivers very good sound quality and very good noise reduction. Overall, these headphones have a warm character, with pronounced bass that has good impact and definition. Midrange is smooth, though a bit soft and lacking fine detail, and has a plastic resonance. Treble is smooth but recessed, and upper treble is rolled off. The sound was closed in with so-so dynamics. Overall sound quality drops to a good when the noise reduction is deactivated--bass is still pronounced and has good impact, but it loses definition, midrange becomes very muffled, and treble is very recessed and rolled off. The sound maintains its warm, closed in character, but dynamics become compressed.

Comfort: We found that these headphones were generally comfortable and were lightweight for their type. The vinyl ear pads, which provide a combination on/over-the-ear fit, can feel cramped and may be uncomfortable for those with medium-sized or larger ears, and might feel hot and/or sticky after prolonged use.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

.

  © Copyright by Headphones Cancelling Support By Automatically Posting from Amazon Content to Blogger

Back to TOP