Klipsch Mode M40 Mode Headphones - Copper/Black

Product Description


From its sleek design to luxurious materials, the Klipsch Mode M40 headphones reinforce all that Klipsch stands for. As our first-ever active noise-cancelling (ANC) headphone model, this headphone presents 45 hours of noise-cancelling capability and remains a high-performance stereo headphone when without battery power. Materials similar to those used in high-end Italian sunglasses contribute to the Mode’s fashion-forward essence while providing unmatched durability. The Klipsch Mode M40 headphone features an Apple-based mic and three-button remote system for taking calls and controlling music on iPods, iPhones or iPads. Klipsch Mode M40 Mode Headphones - Copper/Black

Product Details

  • Product Dimensions: 7.1 x 4 x 9 inches ; 12.5 ounces
  • Shipping Weight: 3 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
  • Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.
  • ASIN: B005N8A4Z0
  • Item model number: Klipsch Mode M40
  • Batteries: 1 AAA batteries required. (included)

Price : $349.00
You Save : $0.99
Klipsch Mode M40 Mode Headphones - Copper/Black

List Price : $349.99

Technical Details

  • 40mm woofer provides deep bass and dynamic midrange with active crossover
  • 15mm tweeter brings crisp, clean highs
  • 45 hours of noise-cancelling capability on a single battery
  • 2 detachable, Hi-Fi inspired cables fit any device with a 3.5 mm headphone jack

Customer Reviews


Try to bear with me, because there is a lot to go over with these headphones.
DESIGN
These headphones are gorgeous! When I opened them for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised with how they looked. They are of a coppery color with a slight red hue. They look astounding! They are very Sturdy, and could probably withstand some damage before breaking, though I wouldn't dare think of risking it with these headphones.
These headphones also have the ability to fold up. Which makes them a lot more portable than many other full sized headphones.
My rating
5/5 Style (They are classy, not eye popping)
5/5 Strength (While I haven't dropped these yet, I'm not too worried about doing so.)
5/5 Foldability (While these can't fit into your pocket, the ability to reduce their size can be very handy.)
COMFORT
One of the things I noticed with these headphones when I opened them were, "Wow, these are kind of heavy!" Yes, you will most likely notice this as well, because they are heavier than most would think if this is one's first "nice" headset.
When you put it on, you will also notice how wonderful the ear pads (Which are memory foam) are. They fit nicely over the ear, and produce a nice passive noise canceling from the sound outside. These headphones do this without performing a death grip on the head, but bear in mind that the headphones that do this, tend to have a stronger passive noise canceling. Also, prolonged listening will cause one's ears to become warm, which also may deter some.
Weight 3/5 (These are quite heavy, and may turn off some.)
Passive Noise Cancelling 4/5 (I like it, but I feel it could be better.)
Ear Pads 5/5 (These are the comfiest headphones I have ever worn, but they do heat up after a good amount of listening, approximately 3+ hours)
SOUND
The most important part of a headphone. These headphones do sound on the weaker side when opening. Keep in mind thought that for optimal sound quality, a "break in" of a headphones require 40 hours of listening at 25% - 50% louder than normal. I haven't had these for a particularly long time, but I have been breaking mine in, and they have been steadily improving sound. I can't wait till they reach their peak!
These headphones also come with a active noise cancelling system, that require a AAA battery. Active noise cancellation is a complicated process that would take another review to summarize. So in short, it will selectively block noise, particularly at lower frequencies. This explains why the bass seems louder when the active noise cancelling in on. This feature isn't only for those who wants more bass, but it also breathes new life into the headphones creating a more 3-D soundstage.
Sound Quality 4/5 (I have heard a pair broken in at a store, and they sound great!)
Active Noise Cancelling 5/5 (This feature is very handy, and one will be sad when their battery dies, and they have to listen to their music without this feature)
THE EXTRAS
These headphones also come with some bells and whistles. They come with a 2 Cases, a mesh case (klipsch logo all over), and a leather case. The leather case is wonderfully beautiful and the mesh case is Average. It comes with a two types of connecting cords (to your music player) that are 3.5 mm. One is a plain cord that is very sturdy, while the other had a 3 button control with a mic. The mic is very clear and won't disappoint. Also it comes with an airport adapter (which I haven't used) and a 3.5 mm to 1/4 in adapter (mostly used with receivers or amps). These are very handy, but I haven't been able to see a use for all of these on a daily basis.
Case (mesh) 4/5 (Average, but does the job)
Case (leather) 5/5 (beautiful, and very sturdy)
Wire (plain) 4/5 (Great and sturdy, but I can't find a reason to rate it 5/5)
Wire (with button control) 5/5 (Great, sturdy, handy, and clear (sound)! What more do you need?!)
3.5 mm to 1/4 in adapter 3/5 (Plain, but sturdy)
Airport adapter ?/5 (Haven't used it)
OVERALL
Design 5/5
This is a beautiful set of headphones, that the owner will fall in love with, without being, as I said, an "eye popper". Their compact nature also is a plus.
Build and Comfort 4/5
They are comfortable, but the weight and tendency to "warm the ears" may deter some. The ear pads are very comfortable and will attract many.
Sound 4/5
Pleases the listener, but it won't cause someone to cry from the music's beauty. Give the headphones some time as well, they need to break in.
The Extras 5/5
May just be too much (which isn't bad). The extras are of high quality as well.
Overall 4.5/5
Great headphones, but little quirks may bother some. Certain people will mind, while others won't notice. It is all personal preference.
These headphones are great, but to enjoy headphones of this caliber, a portable amp such as FiiO E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier - E11 may be a good idea for on the go, due to the increased sound range and larger soundstage this will bring. This is up to personal preference though, and headphones sounds great by themselves as well.
In the end, this is a love headphone or "just another headphone". It is just up to personal preference.
UPDATE 1/15/12
I have been using these headphones for almost a month now, and boy has the audio quality improved! In fact, reflecting on what I had heard from the headphones when I first got them, I have to admit, I wasn't so impressed. Now, I have no buyers remorse (i.e. bought something, then after having it, wished they didn't get it). When you get the headphones, yes, they do sound very weak and restrained. This, according to what I've heard, is perfectly normal! So don't get rid of the headphones, the audio quality will dramatically improve!
MOVIES
I have recently tried using these babies on my computer and watched a movie. The movie was INCEPTION. If you are familiar with this movie, you know that there are a lot of video/ audio effects. Well after using these headphones, I couldn't believe what I was missing! In fact, during many scenes that involved explosions, with ANC (active noise canceling) I felt the headphones vibrate! It was like being in the theatre, minus the hundred people. In fact, I watched the movie in stereo surround sound, and was blown away, then I found out after the movie, that I didn't even use full surround sound! I can't wait to try that out!
In short, not only do these headphones shine in music quality, but in movie quality as well!
Movies 5/5
The Headphones
Though I love these headphones, after using these for a while (3+ Hours) , I really noticed that these will really heat up! Though I do have to admit that I hate taking these off for 10 minutes for them to cool off after 3 hours. This will definitely annoy people. Trying to look on the brighter side, since these headphones do heat up, they make for really good headphones to wear in cold weather, as they keep the ears comfortably warm while you listen to music (or maybe you want to use them just to use as earmuffs, I have done that as well and it does work!)
That being said, since there are pro's and con's to these headphones, I will leave my rating the same.
Update (Again) 1/27/12
Active Noise Canceling
Honestly, Everyone thinks that this feature does absolutely nothing. I stated that it does block out lower frequencies, but honestly, I have to admit, it awfully felt like a "volume booster" like everyone stated. Another thing that I have noticed is that the soundstage is larger, and people will point that out (the main improvement is a punchier bass. Finally, a few days ago, I was riding in a bus, and I was wearing these headphones. I got on the bus, put these headphones on, turned on the active noise canceling, then turned on the music. I paused, and promptly shut off the music, then the active canceling. I heard the muffled rumbling of the bus (passive noise canceling) and felt it (you know, before it gets going) with ANC (active noise canceling) off. I then switched it on, and the rumbling was dramatically less. I could feel it, but it was weird sensation having the sound of the rumbling not matching the actual rumbling (sound volume wise). Also, when you turn on the ANC it takes a few seconds before it really gets going (from what I have noticed).
In short, the Active Noise Canceling WORKS! It isn't a perfect ANC system, as it won't block out a ton of sound. It is more subtle, something more taken for granted, but it is more than "just a volume booster".

I've been waiting for a good around the ear , noise cancelling headset with quality in audio. Previously I owned both bose qc15, qc3 and Senheisser PXC 3xx Series. Lost them during my travel. Finally I got this from my Xmas list. My Gf went to great lengths to get this as they completely ran out of stock way before Xmas everywhere, including the manufacturer. Finally she was able to pull some strings and get one for me.
Audio Quality (5/5):
I listened to some of the wide range of songs from my computer (both with/without SRS/Dolby enhancements) and from my Android device (Recorded at Studio Quality 96khz 24-BIT) both on Beats by Dr. Dre and Bose and Klipsch m40 and bar none the range of low, mid, bass and quality is superbly balanced. If you've a choice of SRS on your device, enable it, and you'll get much more bass for bass lovers. Otherwise, it's perfectly balanced and many times, I thought I could hear instruments, tones that I never could hear on other headsets. Obviously I haven't used them all, but I could tell the difference really. I've never seen my GF wear any headset for a long time ever. This is the first time, once she wears them, until I snatch them off her head, she won't let it go. She loves them. She has used the bose before too. I also heard that you need it give it about 40-50 hours of playing a variety of music for the speakers to break-in fully.
Noise Cancelling (4/5):
The passive noise cancelling is great, just with the over hear setup. It blocks about 80% of the noise. Fantastic swivel cupping design. I wore it for hours and yet no discomfort. However I'm not yet sure on the active noise cancelling (which runs on 1 AAA battery for upto 45 hours - which is great fora single AAA battery). I haven't tested them on air planes yet. I've used the Bose QC3 and QC15 and noticed that as soon as you turn on the noise cancelling the A/C noises, and other humming, computer (server) noises reduce a lot. Not on the Klipsch though. I heard that there's always a debate between introduction of noise cancelling in quality high end headphones, which I guess compromises audio quality? Even now many super high end manufacturers like Ultrasone do not make noise cancelling headsets. Apparently I heard that Klipsch wasn't planning on such a noise cancelling headset either until AudioVox bought them and maybe forced them into it? Because of this reason, I think they didn't overdo the noise cancelling, which I heard (also know) that the active noise cancelling in some devices (including bose, which I owned) causes discomfort after soemtime to the frequencies put out for noise cancelling. Not on the Klipsch though. Again perfect balance. Either way, it's great I'm able to own and love such a device. Only thing is noticed is that without the song playing, you cannot just use noise cancelling to cut off enough noise. I've seen bose does it really well. But then again, back to too much noise cancelling/audio quality/comfort level!
And the headset works even if the battery dies (without noise cancelling). But even without the active noise cancelling the cup design is so well done, it cancels about 80% of the noise. This way I don't have to take off my headset while landing or taking off on flights. Just turn it off.
Size (4/5):
Well, this is where it's a little off. The headsets are Huge and a bit heavy. But once on the head you won't feel any weight. But if you've a small head, you'll definitely feel like a clown walking around the town wearing this. Specially because of it's style,wide head bands. Get ready to seeing a lot of prying eyes on you and attention. Not to mention all the questions that will come along with it -- in a good way. But I guess these days all the good high end headphones are kind of big like Beats and Bose around the ear, Skull Candy etc., More and more I'm seeing people wearing this on the streets and on public transportations. So I guess it's ok. It's not just the cups, but the whole assembly is slightly wide and big.
Style(5/5):
One of the most , or the most stylish headset with quality I've ever seen. Great mold, colors, curves. Thumbs up Klipsch!
Construction Quality/Durability (5/5):
Great high end materials, including the leather cups and the storage case, the bands. Solid construction. Very Audiophile style cables (with silk style thread covers). They all look very durable, again only time will tell. Just have a small concern on the copper like material (not sure if that is paint, or the whole material is toned and colored. If it's paint, I'm hoping it won't chip on regular use). The cups are also designed with flex swivel so it won't cause any discomfort on long wearing.
Extra features (5/5):
It's fantastic that it works as a Phone Headset for mobile devices. It's out of the box compatible with Iphone, Ipad, Ipods. But I was able to download another App from the android market and it was able to control the 2 out of 3 buttons on the cable for volume/call/pause etc., Again and great thumbs up for Klipsch. Man I'd would love to work for a R;D division like them who put effort and took everything into consideration and purely succeeded with flying colors.
Also I'm fairly sure, you can use this headset as a Headset for your laptop/PC. I've another klipsch in-ear headphones and they come with a PC adapter which splits a single jack into two jacks for Mic and Speaker. But it's funny that that klipsch cable buttons work with android and this one doesn't. Weird.
Misc Thoughts:
It would be great that if someone comes up with a selectable noise cancelling feature. So you can select 4 or 5 difference frequency outputs custom for flight, fan noises, a/c noises, train or for the layman three options of low, med, high where you can choose what level you need based on situations. Sometimes you prefer higher noise cancelling than audio quality (like in flight or train travel). Because a while ago when I tested bose, sennheiser headsets, I saw them doing better at different sound frequencies. Bose was better at certain jet noises and a/c noises.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

.

  © Copyright by Headphones Cancelling Support By Automatically Posting from Amazon Content to Blogger

Back to TOP